Tuesday

Blindness


I'm not quite sure what to say about this film. I got the feeling it was trying to send a message, I'm just not sure what that message would be though. I did watch the entire movie so that's saying something right there. I wanted to find out where it was going, which is a good thing for a film. Was it a waste of time? No, I'm glad I saw it. Would I watch it again? I doubt it.

     There was one very potent scene. I think I can tell you about it without giving anything away. People were divided into groups according to the different wards they were in. One ward took over everything and controlled all the food. One night they told the other ward if they wanted food they had to send their women who would exchange sex for food. One man was brutal with the woman he was with and beat her to death. What impressed me was the other eight women came back to their ward carrying the dead woman, slowly and silently. They placed her body on a bed and soaked some rags with water and began to wash her, as if they were washing away the degradation she had just faced before she died. It was a very eerie and touching scene. See the movie and judge for yourself.

0 comments: